And now, a little pearl of opinion. This was a review posted for the Bible (King Jame's edition) sold on Amazon.
The Gospel? (spoilers)
by Mark Plant
I picked this up because I heard it advertised as the Gospel, which translates to "good news." It opens up by telling the reader how the human race is doomed because two poorly developed characters ate an apple that a snake told them to eat.
That's not good news.
I can't say I found much good news at all in this. It actually closes by telling us that the world is going to end, and how we should all be prepared.
I would not recommend this book to others. It does not deliver on many of its advertised promises, and features weak characters and archaic diction.
(Thank you Rodrigo)
(Thank you QualityNonsense)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
buenísimooo. Hace mucho que no te visitaba, creí que te quedabas en la playa para siempre...
hmmm... I'm somewhat bothered by how most people say that fundamentalists take the words of religion too literally and then there are the critics of religion.... ?
funny, nonetheless.
Welcome anonymous!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand your comment, you're saying that the critics of religion fail in their criticism because they themselves take the words of religion too literally? In other words, what bothers you is that critics assume that all religious people subscribe to a strictly literal reading of religious scriptures?
Although I would agree with you in that respect, I think the people reviewing the bible on Amazon are not criticizing religion per se. I think they're simply playing with the idea that the Bible is a book like any other, and as such, it is sold on Amazon like any other book. Thus, it is subject to the same user reviews and reader criticism that all other books have on Amazon.
What I find hilarious is precisely this benign irreverence towards a book considered to be holy by Christians. Although I understand that a large portion of Christians don't take the scriptures literally, I found it tremendously funny that a number of readers began to spontaneously review the Bible as if it were just another book.
I used to be a Catholic and now I'm an Atheist, and what I loved about these reviews was the underlying message that religious beliefs need not be taken so seriously.
Post a Comment