But once in a while, a tiny incident happens in my life, a little reminder that not everything is lost and that a noble cause is still worth fighting for.
Yesterday, I left a note on a parked bike in my basement, telling the owner that I was interested in buying it. It is a vintage Bianchi Formula One with a pink frame, and rusty handlebars. It was love at first sight when I saw it...I imagined spending a little money to turn the bike into a sweet hipster fixie and gaining some street cred at last!! (look at these Moyer beauties, for example, or these Fast Boys).
Anyway, I got home and had a message from the bike owner. I called him and he said, "listen, I appreciate your interest in the bike. I am aware of its value as a vintage hand welded italian frame, and I'd like you to have it. But there is only one condition." At this point I thought, "oh god, he's going to make me babysit an annoying kid for a full month or take his miniature chihuahua out for a walk on Sunday mornings!"
But I was very wrong. My neighbour simply asked me: "I need you to make a donation to the Canadian Liver Society... my niece had a liver transplant and we would greatly appreciate your help." He didn't ask for a specific amount. He only said, donate.
His words moved me, they grabbed me and shook my insides. I felt tiny...my intention of buying the bike suddenly seemed stupid. I felt humbled. And so I logged into the link he gave me and met Taya, a baby with Biliary Atresia, a rare liver disease. I gladly made a donation.
p.s. this post is dedicated to my neighbor Lu Vo, who today showed me the meaning of gratitude.
(feel inspired? Donate. You won't get a bike, though)

2 comments:
Mi reina Taya... está hermosa... pobrecita.. Y que bonita historia. Those are the things that truly matter, aquellas que no solamente son metal.. que cuentan historias por sí solas...
Mi heart goes out to her.
Qué linda bici.
Y qué hermosa historia, devuelve a la fe.
Un beso
M
Post a Comment