Oh man, I'm suddenly dreading the unlikely, yet ever menacing event of missing my connecting flight tomorrow and getting stranded in Phoenix. Not that I have anything against Arizona, its people, or its 40 degree weather. No. My terror is simply the result of planning a very tight return to Vancouver, trying to maximize time spent in Mexico City, yet arriving in time to see Radiohead tomorrow at Thunderbird Stadium in UBC. But, as I suspected would happen, tonight, the night before the flight, I'm counting the hours left to my departure from Benito Juárez and thinking of all the typically DF scenarios that could impede my scheduled arrival. This city has an almost poetic way of getting in the way.
And if everything goes right, if the traffic behaves, the "baches" don't kill my car, a 58642 ton truck doesn't get stuck in a Viaducto overpass (the clearance has decreased considerably over the years due to a new layer of asphalt added each year to mend the city's mistakes), and the "sindicato" of air traffic controllers doesn't go on strike, I still have to worry about my plane losing it's direction mid-flight when, strangely, everyone on the plane decides to simultaneously open their laptops, creating a sudden and disastrous magnetic field. Or an El Niño style thunderstorm in Phoenix that was mispredicted and re-routes my plane to Texas, or even deeper into the Bible Belt.
This is insomnia.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Te odio por lo de Radiohead (más bien te envidio). Qué bueno que estás de vuelta en el bló.
no pues tu si eres alguien quien promoueve el turismo al df. creo que si llevas mas de 6 meses fuera, se te revoca el derecho a quejarte por el trafico.
Estoy de acuerdo con Rodrigo.
Post a Comment