Now, if we forget this painful and cliché ridden plot for a second, what do we have left? Spectacular actors? Hell no! (unless you're into soap opera style fakeness) A groundbreaking message? Pleeease. Good laughs? Yeah, maybe that scene when the kid jumps into a pile of feces was fun...and maybe one or two of the scenes had interesting lighting. But is the Academy really going to give this mediocre film the Oscar for Best Picture?? If the Oscars were really about recognizing good cinema, Milk would be the top choice of the night.
Needless to say, I agree completely with the more serious criticism by Chei Amlani.
--------------------------- update Feb 23 -------------------------------
I really don't understand how Slumdog won best film yesterday. I guess Hollywood was hit hard by the "Exotic" factor and the Academy was hypnotized by the saturated colors, like kids in a candy shop.
Anyway, my friends Miriam and Juan Pablo shared a couple of excellent reviews, one by Anthony Lane, the other by David Denby.
Y luego está este graaan post de Uno y Uno Son Demasiados.

11 comments:
Estoy de acuerdo, creo que lo único que rescato y que me pareció simpático fue la coreografía Bollywood del final. Hubieron películas mucho mejores, lástima que Hollywood premie sus estrategias narrativas clichés.
no la he visto. la veo el miercoles. pero espero que estés listo para que te de un sape.
bring it on!
Jorge, no te pierdas el artículo de Daid Denby en el New Yorker sobre los Oscares (feb 9), se la deshace. Te copio un párrafo: Boyle has created whsat looks like a jumpy, hyper-edited commercial for povrety- he uses the squalor and violence touristically, as an aspect of the fabulous"
** Iba por ahí tu crítica o sólo no te gustó la peli?
Sin duda estoy de acuerdo con Denby, y me encanta como deshace la trama. Y comparto su opinión de que el director usa los basureros de manera casi sensacionalista.
Pero mi crítica es todavía más sencilla: la película se me hizo aburrida, punto. Supongo que tiene que ver con que me gustan las historias inteligentes, y no las telenovelas. Slumdog me parece realmente trivial. En palabras de Anthony Lane "What is surprising is the unembarrassed energy that Boyle devotes to his pursuit of the obvious."
Mi queja no es contra la película per se...porque películas malas hay millones. Mi queja es contra el hecho de que se gane el máximo premio de la academia!! Como dice Denby, no le llega ni a los talones a películas del año pasado como "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly". Y me dan ganas de vomitar cuando leo reviews que la llaman "the ultimate underdog story of all times". No jodan.
Oh, oh... such truth!
Todo el tiempo estuve swinging back and forth, this is a crap remake of city of god... oh, yes... they fucked it from behind and squealed like a little piggy when they came--pardon my bluntness.
What would you say to the seventy-something producer of the film when asked if you liked it?
I scrunched up my face and used tons of euphemisms ('m not name-dropping, just showing how cowardly I am when it comes to the actual take).
To which I thought, "people forget too quickly for cinema's health. A couple of generations down the line and they're already asking what pulp fiction is and if Bela Tarr is a fashion designer. Entertainment... what a word!"
Qué pasa carnal, gracias por el cumplido; me gustó mucho tu post, sencillo y puntual. Te paso éste otro de un buen amigo, es muy bueno. http://mandurrabiaonline.blogspot.com/2009/02/oscares-pedros-y-bonifacios.html
Sorry, aquí está el link directo...
you hate puppies
It wasn't that inspiring a year for "Academy recognized" cinema period this year - and I completely agree the SDM fanaticism is not really deserved (though I admit I have a bit of the warm fuzzies for Danny Boyle because I've loved some of his earlier work). But the masses do love a neatly tied in a bow, annoyingly happy ending...(gag!) - and it IS the Academy Awards...so I should know better than to expect better!
jajajajajajajajajaja
Excellent critique!
I just watched it and I actually enjoyed it.. maybe because I was in the mood for something simple, not too much thinking, lots of awws an oos.. but yes, it did not deserve the Oscar. I lost my faith in the Oscars a looooong time ago. I also agree MILK is a billion times better... but hey, it still beats the crap out Benjamin Butthole.
(jajajajaja)
Post a Comment