Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tokyo!

Today I woke up at 9am to the sound of my phone ringing. It was my dad. He said he was in Tokyo. It was raining, and he had decided to test the infinite powers of Skype by calling me.

At 1.30 pm, I headed downtown to watch Michel Gondry's "Tokyo!", following my VIFF plans. The film opens with a scene from inside a car on a street of Tokyo. It is also raining.

At 2.30, the main character realizes she forgot to move her car from where she parked it. She runs only to find that it has been towed.

At 2.31, I try to quietly recharge my parkmeter via cell phone, but I get the infamous robot voice that says "parking is not allowed after 3 at this location".

I step on a full row of toes, run out of the theatre, and arrive just in time to move my car.

I drove home thinking about the beautiful improbability of the day's coincidences. I thought about my dad, and imagined him riding a taxi on a rainy morning in Tokyo.

No comments: