Saturday, March 28, 2009

Junos!

Apologies to all my readers for this long absence. I have no excuse except for a bad case of writer's block that was aggravated by the rain. In any case, I have now found a great reason to post again! 

As you all probably know, the Juno Awards are happening this weekend in Vancouver, and there are a number of festivities around the city. There's even a Juno Fest. I must warn you that of the more than 100 bands playing in this fair city this weekend, there are no more than 10 that deserve your attention. And by your attention, I mean the attention of people that have musical tastes similar to mine and enjoy the music I share in this blog and the tales of concerts and musical adventures published here. 

I personally think that the credibility of the Juno Awards as a measure of high quality music suffers tremendously from the fact that Nickelback (or the worst band in the world) is nominated for five awards. One of my top ten favorite moments in Vancouver happened yesterday as I was doing some grocery shopping: Nickelback was playing in the background and I walked next to a man that said "every time that Nickelback sings, the Lord weeps." Hahaha. There's even a Facebook group called "Every time Nickelback is played, God kills a Llama". As for the term Nickelback, here is a precise definition.

Having said that, here are the bands that I wish I had seen yesterday night at the Media Club:


And these are the bands that I'm excited to see tonight at the Railway Club:





p.s. hoorray for all the "green" band names.

No comments: